Happy Spring Break everyone! Since we have a whole week off from school and have more time to relax and spend our days however we want to, I thought I would take the opportunity to go over some health and wellness tips. This will help you keep a positive balance between your personal and busy life. Always remember, you are the number one priority.
Did you know many professionals in PR and communications have experienced a shift in their mental health? According to PRWeek, Ian Griggs wrote an article about PR professionals being very stressed out during work and felt uncomfortable discussing their health issues with their boss.
Several factors that affect mental health include: stressful work environments, not properly taking care of oneself, missing regular health checkups, ignoring symptoms or allowing a busy schedule to interrupt a healthy lifestyle. This is easy to understand in the busy “adult world.” It also happens to a lot of college students, who are busy with college coursework, club activities and other jobs. Most people fail to recognize their lifestyle and behavioral patterns because everything may seem normal or fine. Don’t wait until the last moment when something is really off to realize you are unhealthy. Throughout your daily routines, there are helpful steps you can take to help maintain a healthy and positive balance.
Here are some helpful steps to keep a balance for yourself and your busy life:
- Keep in constant contact with your physicians and attend regular health exams.
- Take a moment to step back and breathe if you feel overwhelmed.
- Don’t try to take everything on at once, reach out to a friend for help.
- Always schedule some time for yourself to do what makes you happy.
- Utilize the Student Health & Counseling Services at Sacramento State.
- Find your passion to pursue your dreams.
- Keep a planner or a journal to keep your life organized and express your emotions.
- Enjoy the spring season by playing outside or enjoying a walk by the river with friends.
- Don’t forget to take care of yourself!
It is difficult to not feel stressed or overwhelmed between school, work and enjoying life. Everyone struggles with similar issues as yourself. Remember, you are never alone. You can always reach out to your friends or family, who support and care for you. They might want to join you as well so they aren’t alone too. Try finding a method that works best for your own self and share with others so everyone can practice maintaining a healthy balance.
Here are some outside resources: