When you take on a public relations major, going out straight from a college setting into the job market can be frightening. However, something PRSSA offers to help ease that transition is committees. Within the PRSSA there are five committees: the networking committee, digital (social media) committee, writing committee, outreach committee and also a fundraising committee.
• The networking committee gears you up to talk to professionals and how to make and build significant connections.
• The digital committee helps launch you into the world of digital marketing, from learning how to make a Facebook post to know what pictures are appropriate for a Twitter post.
• Writing committee is there to have your back, regardless of whether or not you feel confident in your writing skills. The committee is there to help you build up your skills to become the best writer you can possibly be.
• The outreach committee is the committee that brings us, great new people. They give presentations to local high schools and community colleges, they do classroom visits and the beginning of the semester, and they handle everything else related to recruitment.
• The fundraising committee is a fun committee that comes up with neat and creative ideas to promote PRSSA and to help fundraise money for events such as homecoming. This committee is perfect for gaining experience if you are ever interested in becoming an event planner.
Committees are the perfect way to help build your skills and gain insightful experience that can help prepare you for the job market.
By being a committed member of PRSSA, you gain leadership skills that will transition into your personal goals that you want to achieve in this organization. By participating in one or a few of the five committees you will gain leadership skills. You can achieve this by taking the initiative of the task you want to complete. You will also learn to cooperate in a group setting when working on tasks with other members of the committee. Attending the events also helps you to network with other members and officers in a social setting. Participating in the committees helps to grow your skills such as event planning, writing blogs, and advertising, which are some qualities that will benefit you in your future endeavors.
Networking + Internships
PRSSA participates in regional and national events all over the country that allow members to network with business professionals who speak at the events. When members attend these conferences, they are open to a variety of companies who seek interns and possibly hire students who are searching for a career after college.
Within the organization, guest speakers are welcome and often introduce internship opportunities to the members. They also share general information regarding the topic of their presentation and offer unique insight into the industry.
Sacramento State’s PRSSA offers its members these advantages and much more. With all this and more at your disposal, how can you wait any longer? Get involved in PRSSA today and watch your career take off with the help of your peers, E-Board representatives, alumni, and PR professionals!