Sigua, a Sac State alumnus, briefly described his career journey prior to becoming the director of media relations for the Kings. He started as a business operations and marketing intern for the organization during his senior year at Sac State, and from there worked in PR in the healthcare field. He returned to the Sacramento Kings to work in media relations, eventually working his way up to the Director position.
Gethers, a native of Denver, Colorado graduated from the University of Arizona in 2008 as a Journalism major, where he developed a passion for writing in the sports field. Starting initially as a journalist for the Arizona basketball program, he went on to earn a part-time position as sports information director for the Denver Nuggets. Not long after did he find himself in Sacramento, filling an internship position in media relations, then moving to to coordinator, and eventually manager.
Apart from giving in inside look on what their jobs entitle, Gethers and Sigua were happy to provide some helpful tips, and advice for the audience. Some key takeaways include the following:
- Internships are extremely important for students. Internships are great resume builders and also help to enhance real life experience outside the classroom.
- The more experience you gain outside of school, the more likely you are to gain an edge on the competition when you graduate.
- No matter what position you hold, never feel above the work. Always work extremely hard and go above and beyond.
- Broaden your horizons for new perspectives on life, and the better off you will be!
- Be able to adapt to any social environment, and learn to be cohesive in a diverse work atmosphere.
- Relationships are KEY! Never burn a bridge! It’s a small world and you never know who might help you along the way.
- Be able to relate to different people and learn how to manage relationships. This is the most important thing to remember when venturing out into the workforce. - Maxwell Schnurr