On Jan. 31, Berger helped Sac State PRSSA show what our organization can offer to our members. The room was filled with every seat taken and young professionals listening closely to the advice Berger had to offer.
Advice from Intern Queen, Lauren Berger
Resume only one page!
- Can be creative, but don't include pictures.
- Cover letter - customize for position or don't have one at all.
Interviews - don't get stumped by the question "tell me about yourself."
Keep answer short, sweet, and to the point.
- Who are you, your major, why you want to work for the company.
- Keep answer short, sweet, and to the point.
ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS AT END OF INTERVIEW!
Position specific questions, not personal questions
- Can you describe a day in the role of this position?
- Characteristics ideal for the position? What makes someone really stand out in this role?
- If I were to get the job, is there anything I can do or read up on to better prepare for this position?
- Can you describe any challenges of this position? Pros & cons?
- HANDWRITTEN THANK YOU CARD AFTER!!
- Position specific questions, not personal questions
- Once you get the job, make sure it's not all about the chase - keep consistent energy!
- Don't talk about how stressed you are!
- Be solution oriented.
Ask to do more. Get the most out of your experience
- Can I listen in on this call?
- Can I shadow a meeting?
- Develop real relationships with the people around you.
After the internship:
- Thank you note!
Stay in touch with professional contacts at least three times per year.
- Reconnect if out of touch
Afterward, the discussion was opened up for any questions students may have for Berger. Many students took the time to ask questions about future jobs prospects and the importance of internships.
Berger has recently released a book called Get it Together: Ditch the Chaos, Do the Work, and Design your Success. It is a practical guide packed with no-nonsense tips that will get anyone where they want to be in business and in life.
If you are interested in stories about internships, jobs, etc. then follow the Intern Queen on Instagram @internqueen. And for our seniors looking for the first job out of college check out the big sister account on Instagram @officialcareerqueen.