Here are 5 ways to help keep calm during this time:
1. Stress balls: The act of repeatedly squeezing a stress ball helps release tension and relieve stress. Stress balls are also used as a tool for meditation.
2. Visualization: Eyes closed and body relaxed, picture a calm environment and work through a stressful or anxiety inducing situation. When staying calm and focused, one can create a mental image of themselves they can come back to whenever feeling stressed or anxious in the future. Visualization can be grounding in that way.
3. Listen to music: Grab a pair of headphones and blast some tunes! Playing the right melody can actually help lower one’s heart rate and therefore decrease stress hormones in the body. Consider playing a few of today’s hits when feeling overwhelmed.
4. Find the right temperature: A room’s temperature can affect stress and anxiety. Being too warm, feeling stuffy, or getting the chills all can make someone feel tense. One can create a more comfortable workspace by bundling up in a cozy sweater and socks when it’s too cold or cracking the window when it gets too warm.
Pro tip: Invest in a humidifier to keep the air from getting dry! Be even more of a pro by adding a few drops of essential oils in the humidifier; scents such as lavender and chamomile are known to help calm the body.
5. Fuel your body: Being hungry or not properly hydrated leaves the body feeling tired and unable to focus. A couple ways to prevent this fatigue would be having a reusable water bottle full at one’s desk and keeping healthy snacks* around.
*Some healthy snack ideas: almonds, apple slices, carrots, or greek yogurt.
These 5 ways are only a handful of things people do to help with their stress or anxiety. Hopefully this list will serve as a guide to those needing a reminder or those who are new to this.
Comment below some other ways people can relieve their stress and anxiety!